Official Certificate Program in Software Engineering
This non-degree certificate program is designed for college graduates wishing to expand or update their knowledge of software engineering. This official certificate program provides a core background in software engineering and can also be obtained on the path to the Software Engineering master’s degree.
The Official Certificate Program in Software Engineering prepares students for professional growth in the field of software engineering, including software architecture and design, software construction, software testing and quality assurance, and software maintenance. It focuses on the foundational concepts of the field and emphasizes the practical applications of these concepts.
- Have the ability to solve software engineering problems in a variety of application settings;
- Understand and apply modern software engineering concepts, techniques, practices, and tools;
- Recognize the need for, and have the ability to engage in, continuing professional development; and
- Have the ability to communicate effectively and possess appropriate teamwork skills.
- BS in Computer Science degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with an undergraduate GPA of 2.70 or higher and a minimum of 3.00 or higher in any post baccalaureate coursework, or
- BS in a related information technology field (with GPA as stated above) with a minimum of six courses of relevant computer science courses (Computer Science 1, Computer Science 2, Data Structures, Computer Architecture, and two advanced computer science electives). May require an extra semester or a summer term to satisfy the expected computer science background by taking CS 501 Foundations of Computer Science and/or CS 502 Computing and Communications Technology as prerequisite courses (not part of the program), or
BS in a STEM field (with GPA as stated above) with a minimum of five courses of relevant mathematics and computer science courses (Calculus I, Calculus II, Discrete Math, Computer Science I, Computer Science II). Will require an extra semester to satisfy the expected computer science background by taking CS 501 Foundations of Computer Science, CS 502 Computing and Communications Technology and CS 464 Programming Languages (not part of the program).
An applicant for the Official Certificate Program in Software Engineering program who does not meet regular admission standards in terms of GPA, but has an undergraduate GPA between 2.40 and 2.69 may be considered for conditional admission.
Additional Materials Required
Applicants with a BS degree different from Computer Science (see 2 and 3 above) must submit a resume and two letters of recommendation to be used in reviewing their computer science related background. Instructions for submitting the resume and references can be found within the online graduate application.
Course Requirements (12 Credits)
|CS 505||Design Patterns||
|CS 506||Software Testing and Quality Assurance||
|CS 510/CS 410||Fundamentals of Software Engineering||
|CS 530||Advanced Software Engineering||
Total Credit Hours: 12