Continuing Enrollment and Losing Matriculation Status

During fall and spring semesters in which no course work is taken, matriculated graduate students involved in completing Theses (Plan A), Comprehensive Examinations (Plan B) or Special Projects (Plan C or E) must register for zero- credit course, CREG 001. Registration for the course requires a fee of $40.00 plus the standard Registration Fee. All students registered for the course are entitled to any services provided to matriculated students. A matriculated graduate student completing a capstone but taking no other course work who does not register for CREG 001 will be withdrawn and lose his/her matriculation status. Matriculated graduate students withdrawn for this reason will have to re-apply using the Graduate Re-Enrollment form and pay a Re-enrollment Fee of $50 to regain their matriculation. They will also need to register for CREG 001 for the semester of re-enrollment. The length of time to obtain a graduate degree will remain at six years from the first course taken that applied to the planned program of study. 

Including when students do not pay their CREG fee, four other instances can occur regarding loss of matriculation status.

  1. In the first instance, a full time student who has been accepted but who does not attend is subsequently withdrawn from their requested program. To be considered for readmission, the student must complete a Request for Reactivation form.
  2. The second instance has to do with full time and part time students who are denied admission or whose admissions applications are withdrawn; when these students wish to reactivate their application, they do so by completing a Request for Reactivation form if the request is submitted within two years of the initial application. An additional application fee is not required in this instance; however, submission of official transcripts from any additional institutions attended after the initial application will be required.
  3. If the reactivation is not requested within the two year period, students must then complete a new graduate application, pay the application fee, and re-submit all official transcripts to the Graduate Recruitment and Admissions Office directly from each institution where courses were taken.
  4. The last instance occurs when, after two years of not being registered for classes, both full time and part time graduate students will be notified that they are in danger of becoming inactive and being dropped from their programs, unless they register for courses in the next semester. Once students are made inactive, they must submit a Re-Enrollment request form and pay a re-enrollment fee of $50 to continue in the program. Students may also need to pay a $40 continuation fee required by the Graduate Studies Office if they are enrolled in their capstone thesis, special project, or comprehensive examination. Any semesters in which the student has not taken course work still continue to count toward the six-year time limit for completing the graduate degree program. Only students in good standing (3.00 graduate GPA or higher) are considered for reenrollment.